One of the most important habits you can start as a store owner is to back up your site’s files and database on a regular basis. Always back up your site’s files and database before making any changes or having any work done on your site. Things do not always go smoothly and you will be so thankful to have an up to date back up of your site that you can restore at any time. This tutorial will teach you step by step how to back up your site’s files and database using a few different methods.
Method 1: Back up Wizard via Cpanel
The fastest and easiest way to do a complete back up (files and database) is via your host cpanel with the backup wizard.
1. Go to your host cpanel and select the backup wizard:
2. Click on Backup:
3. Click on Full Backup:
4. Click on Generate Backup:
You are finished with the backup!
Method 2: Filezilla and phpMyAdmin
Another way to back up your site files and database is to use Filezilla for the files and phpMyAdmin for the database.
1. Log into your web hosting account. Open your phpMyAdmin.
Select the database for your zen cart store. Click on “Export”.
Under options, make sure these recommended settings are selected:
- Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION / EVENT
- Add IF NOT EXISTS
- Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
- Enclose table and field names with backquotes
- Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION / EVENT
- Complete inserts
- Use hexadecimal for BLOB
- Export type must be set to INSERT
Check “Save as file” and click on “Go”.
Save the file to your computer.
1. Connect to your web host via ftp using Filezilla. Enter the address of the server, your username, password, and port if needed into the host field of the Quickconnect bar.
2. Once you are connected in the right side of window find the directory on your local machine where you want to save your backup and in the left side of the window find your store root directory on your web host .
3. Click on the first folder (should not be admin, as you should have renamed that folder due to security risks). Then hold down the Ctrl key and press “a” to select all of the folders and files.
4. Right Click on the window with the selected folders and choose “Download”. All of your store files will be downloaded to the directory that you specified in the right hand side of the window.
If you need help with your zen cart web site, please contact us for a quote.